Compare Best Wusthof Knife Set Models
Detailed Wusthof Classic Knives Review With Features
The Wusthof Knife Set is the perfect choice for the cook who is just starting out; they also make a great gift. I recently needed a new set of knives, so I began looking around to find something that would work for me.
The 14-Piece International Ginsu knife set was one of the first ones that I looked at, but while the price was great I decided I didn’t want any knives that came with a knife block. The Wusthof Classic Gourmet 3-Piece Knife Set was the perfect choice because it came with the sizes that I needed and didn’t include the knife block.
WUSTHOF VEGETABLE KNIFE
One of the best things about the Wusthof Classic Gourmet 3-Piece kitchen Knife Set is that it covers all of my cutting needs. This set comes with an 8 inch cook’s knife, 3.5 inch paring knife, and a 6 inch sandwich knife. I have been using these stainless steel blades for several years know and have never found something they couldn’t do. Although I did have to purchase a separate bread knife because I didn’t like the way the other knives cut bread, although they are amazing on all kinds of meat and the most delicate vegetables.
- Triple-Riveted – One of the best things about these knives is that they are triple-riveted for strength and durability, so even my husband can’t break it off at the handle.
- Hand-Honed – Each of the knives that come in this three-piece set are hand-honed.
- Finger Guard – One of the best safety features with this set of knives is the finger guard. This helps keep my fingers away from the sharp end of the knife.
- Stainless Steel Blades – While many blades are made from stainless steel these blades are far better than any other blades.
- Dishwasher Safe – This manufacturer claims that these knives are dishwasher safe, but I have had friends who have done that and it has dulled the handles.
- 6-inch Sandwich Knife – This is probably the worst knife I have ever found, although it does work great for slicing a tenderloin.
The Wusthof Classic Gourmet 3-Piece Knife Set is one of the best sets around, especially for somebody just starting out in the kitchen. I for one love the feel of the handles, they are so comfortable to use, but I also enjoy the durability of the knives. The handle is a polymer handle that has been specially constructed for a comfortable grip. Like any good knife set the better care they are given the longer they will last.
WUSTHOF 18 PIECE KNIFE SET
For people who are looking for a high quality knife set complete with block I highly recommend the Wusthof Gourmet 18-Piece Knife Set with Storage Block. One of the things that I enjoy best about the Wusthof knife set is its high quality, personally, I think they are some of the best fillet knives around. After spending years in my own kitchen and working as a cooking instructor I have used several brands of knives and I must say honestly that Wusthof is my favorite ones to use, and the ones I recommend my students to use.
The Wusthof Gourmet 18-Piece Knife Set lives up to the high quality I have come to expect from this brand of knives, plus having the storage block makes it easy to keep all of my knives in one location. This knife set comes with 18 knives with triple-riveted traditional style handles. Included in the set are an 8 inch cook’s knife, 8 inch carving knife, 6 ½ inch santoku, 8 inch bread knife, 6 inch sandwich knife, 4 ¼ inch tomato knife, 3 inch paring knife, six steak knives, 4 inch utility knife, 6 inch meat fork, shears, and a 9 inch sharpening steel. Learning how to use the included sharpening steel properly is important because it extends the life of the knives, but also keeps the edge honed perfectly.
- Triple-Riveted – One thing that really makes these knives stand out, in my opinion, is the triple-riveted handles. The triple-riveted handles are stronger than the double or single riveted ones.
- Stain-Resistant Alloy – One thing that I really have enjoyed with this knife set is the stain-resistant alloy that is used to make each knife.
- Precise Tapering – The precise tapering is what makes these knives stand out from others in their class. The precise tapering is what allows the knives to cut so easily through anything one puts in its path.
- Traditional Style Handles – I love these knives because they come with traditional style handles, which makes the knives comfortable to use.
- Dishwasher – One thing that bugs me about these knives is that the manufacturer states they are dishwasher safe. Sure a person can put these in the dishwasher if they want dulled handles and duller looking knives.
- Storage Block – I prefer to store my shears inside the block because I use them a lot more than my meat fork, which I simply store inside my utensil drawer.
The Wusthof Gourmet 18-Piece Knife Set with Storage Block is different from the Wusthof Classic Gourmet 3-Piece Set in a variety of different ways. One of the biggest differences between the two knife sets is the number of knives included in the set, but the quality is also different. Both sets live p to the high-quality name set by Wusthof, but the Gourmet series is the cheaper of the two. The blades in the Gourmet series are a thinner quality metal and are not hand forged like the Classic series.
Both the Gourmet and Classic series are a great choice, but personally I prefer the full set. To me, the 3-piece set is a little small and I find the 6 inch sandwich knife useless. I know the Wusthof Gourmet 18 piece set is a bit on the pricey side but is worth every penny spent because these knives can last a lifetime.
WUSTHOF KNIFE SET WITH BLOCK
A good knife set is worth its weight in gold. I don’t know what I’d do without my Wusthof Classic 8-Piece Knife Set with Block. I got it a couple years ago as an anniversary present and have used at least one of the knives in almost every major meal I’ve made for my family. The eight piece set includes the five most common kitchen knives as well as a pair of shears, sharpening iron, and a wooden block. The high carbon steel that makes up the blades keep the knives sharp. A weighted bolster gives the knives a sturdy feel that lets me cut with confidence. The synthetic handle is easy to grasp and is secured by three rivets. Altogether these knives make an attractive set that has earned its place in my kitchen time and time again.
- Five Most Useful Knives: They did a great job choosing the knives to be included in this set. The sandwich, bread, utility, paring, and chef’s knives are all useful in a number of different situations.
- Sturdy Weight: It’s hard to describe how these knives feel in my hand. They’re easy to grip, yes, but they also feel sturdy.
- Wooden Block: I’m giving the included storage block a bullet point of its own because I’m really pleased with how it’s set up. Most knife sets I’ve seen come with blocks that only have enough slots for the knives that are included with the set.
- Sharpener and Scissors: The shears are also very sharp, making short work of those annoying plastic packages. The sharpener is another great tool that gets a lot of use in my kitchen.
- Must Hand Wash: It’s usually best to hand wash high-end fillet knives, but it’s still a little bit annoying for me. I usually don’t have a lot of time after dinner, so having to wash each knife individually instead of throwing them in the dishwasher isn’t ideal.
- Scissors Can Wobble a Bit: Because the shears are designed to be taken apart, they can be a bit wobbly when you use them. It’s a necessary trade-off that doesn’t affect their effectiveness.
A good knife set at the right price can be extremely difficult to find. The Wusthof Classic set gives high-quality knives that can tackle just about any kitchen task. The blades stay sharp (and can be made sharper by the included sharpener), and they feel weighted well in the hand. The included block and kitchen shears are great bonuses. If you’re looking for a good quality knife set for use in a home kitchen, you’ll be very happy with this set.