The Wusthof Classic Gourmet 3-Piece Knife Set is the perfect choice for the cook who is just starting out; they also make a great gift. I recently needed a new set of knives, so I began looking around to find something that would work for me.
The 14-Piece International Ginsu knife set was one of the first ones that I looked at, but while the price was great I decided I didn’t want any knives that came with a knife block. The Wusthof Classic Gourmet 3-Piece Knife Set was the perfect choice because it came with the sizes that I needed and didn’t include the knife block.
One of the best things about the Wusthof Classic Gourmet 3-Piece Knife Set is that it covers all of my cutting needs. This set comes with an 8 inch cook’s knife, 3.5 inch paring knife, and a 6 inch sandwich knife. I have been using these stainless steel blades for several years know and have never found something they couldn’t do. Although I did have to purchase a separate bread knife because I didn’t like the way the other knives cut bread, although they are amazing on all kinds of meat and the most delicate vegetables.
- Triple-Riveted – One of the best things about these knifes is that they are triple riveted for strength and durability. My husband is one of the hardest people on knives. I have gone through so many knives because the blade broke off from the handle. The triple-riveted knife adds strength to the knife, so even my husband can’t break it off at the handle.
- Hand-Honed – Each of the knives that come in this three piece set are hand-honed. Hand-honing the knives allows for each knife to be razor-sharp, even coming directly out of the box. I am a big fan of a sharpening steel, it gives each of my knives that needed edge for slicing vegetables. I do use my sharpening steel with this set, but the hand-honing gives this set an advantage over other sets because they simply slice through everything with no resistance.
- Finger Guard – One of the best safety features with this set of knives is the finger guard. This helps keep my fingers away from the sharp end of the knife, which makes the knives safer to use but it also makes them more comfortable to use. As an added bonus the finger guard adds some heft to the knife making it feel even more solid than it really is.
- Stainless Steel Blades – While many blades are made from stainless steel this blades are far better than any other blades I have ever seen. Not only are these some of the sharpest blades they are also very easy to maintain, the edges are easily restorable. The sharpness of the blades also last 30% longer than other knives, including Ginsu knives. And in all of the years that I have had these knives I have never had a problem with rust or stains of any kind.
- Dishwasher Safe – Perhaps the worst thing about these knives is the claim that they are dishwasher safe. I for one have never put my good knives inside the dishwasher because that is the fastest way to ruin them. This manufacturer claims that these knives are dishwasher safe, but I have had friends who have done that and it has dulled the handles. To me it is just easier and smarter to wash each knife by hand, it doesn’t take very long.
- 6 inch sandwich knife – This is probably the worst knife I have ever found, although it does work great for slicing a tenderloin. This size knife is the least used in my house, so I really wish they would offer a bread knife with the set instead.
The Wusthof Classic Gourmet 3-Piece Knife Set is one of the best sets around, especially for somebody just starting out in the kitchen. I for one love the feel of the handles, they are so comfortable to use, but I also enjoy the durability of the knives. The handle is a polymer handle that has been specially constructed for a comfortable grip. Like any good knife set the better care they are given the longer they will last. Find out the best electric fillet knife reviews if you want to reduce your labor.