Okay, I’ll admit it, I laughed a bit when I first saw the Pure Komachi 2 Series 9-Piece Knife Set with Block. The knives were all so brightly colored I thought they couldn’t possibly be seriously useful in the kitchen. Well, now that I’ve tried them I’m not laughing! The colors are definitely the first thing that strikes you with this set. Each of the eight knives is color coded with FDA-approved resin to avoid cross-contamination. The resin is easy to wash and safe to use. The bright colors of the knives are shown off beautifully in the eight slot clear acrylic block that is included with the set. Performance is not an issue with these knives. The resin is bonded to high-carbon stainless steel blades that stay very sharp. I was actually surprised at how well they cut – they look fantastic and work just as well as they look!
- Bright and Colorful: I listed this first since it really is the first thing that hits you with this set. There’s no confusing these knives with any other. Each knife is vibrantly colored, both handle and blade. I doubt it was the manufacturer’s intention, but I’ve found the color coding to be a great learning tool for my daughters. My oldest is learning to do some simple tasks in the kitchen, and she uses the colors to help her remember which knives can be used for which situation. Very handy!
- Variety of Knives: Once you get over the color it’s easy to see that there’s a good variety of knives included with the set. You’ll find an 8 inch chef, 8 inch bread, 6 ½ inch Santoku, 6 inch utility, 5 ¾ inch sandwich, 4 inch tomato/cheese, 4 inch citrus, and a 3 ½ inch paring. Can’t really ask for much more than that.
- Clear Acrylic Block: The bright colors of the knives are displayed beautifully in the included clear acrylic block. I have a very bright and colorful kitchen, and this block allows the vibrant colors of the knives to shine right through. It also makes it easy to grab for the knife that you’re looking for and not have to deal with a collection of identical handles. I don’t think there could be a better way to display these gorgeous knives than a clear block.
- Easy to Use: Now that I’m done drooling over how they look, let me tell you about how well they work. Despite their appearance, this is a serious knife set. These knives are both lightweight and sharp, making them easy to use and remarkably effective. The resin on the handles makes them comfortable to grip and allows for even more maneuverability. The blades stay very sharp after multiple uses.
- Block is a Bit Bulky: The acrylic storage block is a little bit bulkier than is strictly necessary. It leaves a slightly larger footprint than is really called for, which can be a hassle if you have a small kitchen. However, it does such a lovely job of displaying the knives that I’m willing to put up with a bit of bulk!
- Maybe Too Sharp: These knives will lull you into a false sense of security. You look at them and think “oh, they’re so colorful, they can’t be that sharp, right?” Think again! I nicked myself several times when first using these knives because they were much sharper than I anticipated. Once I got used to them, though, I haven’t had this problem.
It’s always a beautiful moment when looks and functionality come together to form a great product. This Pure Komachi set does just that. These knives are both beautiful and useful, staying sharp and looking great with little effort. They cut beautifully, are easy to wash, and look great on the countertop. If you’re looking to spice up your kitchen, these knives really can’t be beat.
You can read more quality fillet knife reviews to know more.